Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-Free
Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 1 sugar pie pumpkin (4 pounds approximately)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for roasting pumpkin
- 2 leeks, sliced thinly
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- heaping 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger and nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 32 ounces of vegan vegetable stock
- 1 cup of canned coconut milk (can substitute light coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup (us tablespoons of apple juice for sugar-free)
- Toppings: cashew sour cream (below), rosemary roasted cashews (below), freshly cracked black pepper, and minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pumpkin in half, vertically. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and stringy insides from the cavity of the pumpkin. If desired, save the seeds to roast later.
- Cut the pumpkin into large wedges. Place the pumpkin wedges onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through, until fork-tender. Let pumpkin cool somewhat, then squeeze flesh out of the pumpkin skin and discard the skin.
- While pumpkin is roasting, begin the soup base. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Once the oil is shimmering, add the leeks, garlic, carrots, celery, and season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook for 7-10 minutes until onion is translucent and vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir vigorously for 30 seconds until the spices’ aromas have been released.
- Add the pumpkin and use a wooden spoon to mash up the pumpkin. Then, add the vegetable broth. Raise the heat and bring the soup to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low to maintain a simmer and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the flavors have blended nicely.
- Add the coconut milk and maple syrup, stir to combine and turn off heat.
- In batches, transfer soup to a blender or food processor. Place a kitchen towel over the opening in the lid to prevent steam from escaping. Blend soup until pureed and creamy.
- Top finished soup with cashew sour cream, rosemary roasted cashews, freshly cracked black pepper, and minced parsley
Cashew Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Drain cashews and pat down with paper towels.
- Place cashews in food processor and blend until ground up.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until you have a thick, creamy texture. Add additional salt if needed.
Rosemary Roasted Cashews
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to375 degrees Fahrenheit. If you want to roast the nuts at the same time as the pumpkin, reduce the oven temp to 375 and cook the pumpkin for 5-10 minutes longer.
- Mix the cashews with the oil and seasonings and toss to coat.
- Spread nuts out onto a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes until browned.