- 2 medium heads of cauliflower (approx. 4 pounds), cut into smallish florets
- 4 carrots, chopped into small pieces
- Olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil for roasting vegetables
- 1 extra large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Coconut oil or oil of choice for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth for Vegan version)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Heaping 1/2 cup of canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (don’t omit, it gives the soup a lot of depth)
- Garnishes: minced parsley, ground nutmeg, toasted almonds or walnuts, extra virgin olive oil, hemp seeds, and/or parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Place cauliflower florets and carrots on baking trays lined with foil. Toss with enough oil to coat. Generously salt and pepper. Roast veggies for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through until veggies are soft and browned.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add coconut oil or oil of choice. Add onions and garlic and cook 5-8 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and carrots, chicken broth, and water to the Dutch oven. Increase heat to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to maintain a summer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove half of the soup from heat and transfer to a blender (or food processor). Remove blender centerpiece and cover with a clean dish towel to allow steam to escape. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into a serving dish and repeat with remaining soup.
- Stir in 1/4-1/2 tsp salt and nutmeg into soup.
- Serve with desired garnishes.