- 3 leeks (white and green parts only)
- 5 oz. of mushrooms, sliced
- Ghee for frying
- Salt & pepper
- A handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 eggs (preferably, pasture-raised or organic, free-range)
- Grass-fed cheddar, shredded (substitute nutritional yeast for dairy-free option but you won’t get as good browning on the top)
- Melt ghee in a sauté pan or skillet. Once hot, add leeks and sauté leeks over medium-low heat for 20 minutes until browned. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme sprigs. Sauté mushrooms separately in ghee and season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme sprigs.
- Whisk together 4 eggs with a splash of coconut milk. I seasoned my eggs with Nom Nom Paleo’s magic mushroom powder to amp up the umami flavor.
- In a large cast iron skillet (or other oven-proof skillet) over medium heat, spread out the cooked leeks and mushrooms. Then add the whisked eggs and tilt the pan to distribute eggs evenly. Let the eggs cook for approximately 5 minutes until almost cooked through, except slightly runny on top. Top the frittata with shredded cheddar.
- Transfer skillet from stove and place under broiler for 2 minutes until the eggs are fully cooked and the top is golden brown.