Hi, friends! I’m back with Part 2 in my Vegan 4th of July series! You can find the video for this recipe here.
I still am brand new at making videos, so if you have any videography expertise or Youtube know-how, I’d love to hear from you. Shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, leave a comment on Youtube or below, or find me on Instagram!
Now to this salad. I try not to toot my own horn too much (j/k, I love to do that), but this salad is AMAZING. It’s like the best of summer in one dish. It has the best parts of grilled corn–the sweet flavor and the buttery texture–without any of the downsides of eating corn on the cob, such as looking like a damn beaver with rabies when you attack a corn on the cob with your mouth and having to floss immediately afterwards. Nobody likes a crazy beaver with good dental hygiene.
If you can’t find vegan ricotta cheese, you can substitute any cheese you like or omit it entirely. It’ll still be delicious! If you want to make it heartier, you can add some diced avocado (so good) or some white beans.
Happy grilling, and hope you enjoy the video!
Grilled Corn & Asparagus Salad
- 4 ears of corn
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- Olive oil for grilling vegetables
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup vegan ricotta cheese (I use this brand)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a grill to very high heat.
- Shuck the corn by removing the husks and silk. Brush corn with olive oil.
- Trim the asparagus by removing the woody ends at the natural snap point. Toss asparagus spears with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place corn directly over heat source on grill. Turn every few minutes to get even brown marks. Remove after 10 minutes.
- Place asparagus directly over heat source on grill. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning once.
- Using a sharp knife, shave the corn kernels off the cob. Cut the asparagus into bite-sized pieces.
- While the veggies are grilling, slice the cherry tomatoes in half and chiffonade the basil into thin strips.
- Prepare the balsamic vinaigrette: whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and salt & pepper to taste. Whisk in olive oil until emulsified.
- To prepare salad, combine corn kernels, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and vegan ricotta cheese. Toss with balsamic vinaigrette. Top with basil.