Today I’m sharing some easy vegan breakfast recipes that take just five minutes to make in the morning. I made a video for these recipes, so hop on over to Youtube to check it out.
I’ve always been a big breakfast eater. At least I have been as an adult. As a kid, on the other hand, breakfast was typically a bowl of Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes or whatever cereal had the most amount of sugar, with a minimal amount of skim milk. Everyone in my family was lactose intolerant but continued to believe that milk was necessary for optimal health (though none of us could be described as having optimal health).
In the last few years, I’ve switched jobs a few times, so I’ve had to experiment with various morning routines. And unfortunately, my hearty breakfast routine has occasionally slipped through the cracks. Whenever I skip breakfast or even eat a light breakfast, I arrive to work ravenous and proceed to eat everything in sight. Not exactly the healthiest idea, particularly when you work at a food startup that has an infinite number of snacks stacked in every corner of the office.
My desire to eat a healthy breakfast often clashes with my tendency to jam pack my mornings with productive activity. Recently, I’ve had about 5 or 10 minutes to spend on breakfast, so I decided to master a handful of quick breakfast recipes that I could make in just a few minutes.
I have a few more quick breakfast staples in my rotation, which I’ll be sure to share with you in the future. For now, I hope these recipes enable you to incorporate a healthy, balanced breakfast into your busy life!
RECIPE #1: Instant Chia Pudding
Say good-bye to soaking your chia seeds overnight and hello to instant chia pudding.
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 Medjool dates
- Toppings of choice: fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, nut butter, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, flax seed, dark chocolate, etc.
- Placee the almond milk, yogurt, chia seeds, vanilla and Medjool dates in a high-speed blender. Blend until thoroughly combined. The dates should be completely broken up and you’ll have a thick, creamy texture.
- Serve with desired toppings.
RECIPE #2: No-Cook Breakfast Burrito
A hearty breakfast option for a long day ahead that won’t weigh you down or give you the infamous #burritobelly.
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup canned organic corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1-2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large tortillas
- Add the black beans, corn, diced bell pepper, diced avocado, lime juice, olive oil, minced cilantro and salt & pepper to a bowl. Toss to combine.
- If desired, heat tortillas in a skillet over high heat for 20 seconds or in the microwave for 10-20 seconds until warmed and soft.
- Top tortillas with the black bean mixture and roll into burritos.
RECIPE #3: Avocado Hummus Boats
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2-3 tablespoons hummus
- 1/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup edamame (soybeans)
- Handful of kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Slice avocado in half and remove the.
- Fill the avocado cavities with hummus. Top with chickpeas, edamame and kale. Drizzle with tahini.